Twin Peaks

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Honk For Dracula » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:39 pm

WAC wrote:I'm kind of sad that Dougie Jones is gone now

yea! I was so startled. he's like Chauncey the Gardener but his earned love wasn't cynical

Honk For Dracula

Postby doormat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:39 pm

loaf angel wrote:

this scene sticks out to me more than anything

love that this is literally a sunny gym.

doormat

Postby WAC » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:43 pm

:o

WAC

Postby Honk For Dracula » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:46 pm

oh I thought the Sonny jim-set was done back when the ep aired. I certainly made the joke cos I'm cool

Honk For Dracula

Postby deadbass » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:54 pm

doormat wrote:
loaf angel wrote:

this scene sticks out to me more than anything

love that this is literally a sunny gym.

deadbass

Postby Honk For Dracula » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:08 am

omg im gonna miss dougie

Honk For Dracula

Postby southpaw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:10 am

loaf angel wrote:this is the best TV show of all time

southpaw

Postby southpaw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:13 am

I have been wrecked this week thinking this will be ending, I might actually watch half this week and stretch it out a few days.

Last week's ep and this series in general has permanently changed me.

southpaw

Postby internethandle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:25 am

speculative spoilery stuff, i guess, drawn from one of the unseen teaser trailer shots and the wow lynch wow guy's commentary, so i'll tag it just in case: the wow lynch wow guy thinks that andy being shown himself leading lucy somewhere indicates the fireman/giant was telling him that she'll be able to tell coop and doppelcoop apart, because she's looking back and forth once he gets her to the doorway he's leading her to. this obviously would be in the event that doppelcoop tries to pass off as real coop, which always struck me as a possibility because of something about cooper's expression in the as-yet-unseen shot at 0:50 in this teaser trailer (the same one with the staircase shot we haven't seen), which, after seeing him in the series, reminded me of doppelcoop:

#dugpa
Toggle Spoiler

internethandle
ok

Postby OKterrific » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:32 am

worrywort wrote:watching FWWM with other people seems like a nightmare

I've watched it with my mom. twice 8-)
mcwop23 wrote:no need for lame earnest dad posts

OKterrific
our rachel maddow

Postby ~*courteous sage*~ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:43 am

Dead_Wizard wrote:got satantango queued up for this weekend awooga

same 8-)

also jesus christ i love this show. i was never a die hard Lynch fan or anything but this series is transcendental.

~*courteous sage*~

Location: Hmm. Are you familiar with the term "executive dysfunction?"

Postby aububs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 am

satantango is so cool

here's my incredibly well written review of it that I wrote for my zine a few years ago

right so yesterday i took the day off to go and see satantango which is a black and white hungarian film and is notorious for being 7 hours long and composed of very lengthy takes, some of them lasting up to 10 or 11 minutes without a cut. i read that in the whole film there are only about 150 edits all together which is mad for a film that's 7 hours long, mad i tell you. so anyway it has a reputation for being a masterpiece and one of the greatest films ever made and all this, so i wanted to see it for myself, and also i couldn't watch a film like that at home because i'd get distracted, i need the confines of a cinema (or gallery in this case) where there are no distractions and i'll just sit there and get the damn thing done. i must also add that this film has to be seen projected on a big screen cos it has some of the most amazing images in it and a lot of it is really just about the image and the composition of the whole thing. so i went along at 11 in the morning with some peanut butter sambos, an orange, a bottle of water, and a pillow cos i knew the seats would be below par. goddamn i'm glad i brought that pillow. i kept thinkin of my sambos while i was watchin, i just couldn't resist them, and they were all gone within about 2 hours. i came to the conclusion that i really love peanut butter sambos and i'm gonna start makin them and bringin them to work for my lunch. holy mackerel my orange was well tasty too, one of those really juicy and sweet ones. sometimes you just strike gold with oranges. i think this time of the year is very good for them, i've been getting a lot of really delicious oranges lately. i messed up with my bottle of water though, i got "tipperary spring" still water or something, instead of my usual volvic which they didn't have. tipperary spring has a kind of vague soapy taste to it which i'm not mad on. but in retrospect that may have been a good thing cos the water lasted me nearly the whole 7 hours and if i had volvic i might have guzzled it all back real quick and then been stuck with no water and also needing a pee. i should clarify, there were no breaks in the film at all, except to change the dvd disc twice, so if i had needed a pee i would have missed some of it, which would have frustrated me. i mean, if yr gonna watch a 7 hour film, watch the whole bloody thing, don't wimp out and just watch bits of it interspersed with pee breaks hahahaha. seriously though i wouldn't have minded an intermission but it wasn't to be. i also read that mr. bela tarr, the guy who made the film, prefers it to be watched all at once without an intermission, and far be it from me to interfere with the wishes of a visionary film-maker with an agenda. right so i suppose i should say what this seven hour long film was about, did i mention it's seven hours long? it felt more like 4 hours to be honest, it didn't feel too long cos it really is very good. and also, structurally and story-wise, it is very similar to lots of other films i've seen, except everything just happens waaaaaaaaaay slower, at a glacial pace. in fact, that is what i would compare this film to, a glacier. it just moves very slowly and awesomely past you, with a presence that could sink the titanic! I don't like professional film reviews (which this is, shut up) that just tell you what happens in the film for the whole thing, so I'll just briefly say it's about a bunch of working class peasants who are coming into some money for selling up their community businesses and they are all very excited about getting the cash but there are a couple of them who are conspiring to take the money for themselves and then there's another two of them who everyone thought was dead but holy goddammit they are not dead at all, they are coming back to claim the money too, and one of them has a grandiose plan to restart their community somewhere else, and they are all a bit afraid of him cos he's very articulate and can persuade and manipulate them all easily. that's all i'm gonna tell you about the plot becuase i don't want to ruin it for you as you all will no doubt be rushing out to see this asap. mainly though this film isn't so much about the plot at all, it's about the way it's made and the images and the sound. some really incredible images in it like loads of wild horses running through a city square, men walkin down a lane with gusts of wind blowin rubbish and debris all around them, lots of shots of the flat hungarian countryside. some shots last so long that you can actually see the daylight changing, getting brighter or dimmer. there is a very traumatic sequence with a young girl and her cat, i felt real sorry for the cat but i read afterwards that the director now owns that cat as his pet and it was ok. there's a real good bit where these three fellas are walkin and then they all stop and stare at somethin and one of them falls to his knees like he's having a religious experience or something, and then we see they are lookin at a huge ruin covered in fog (it happens to be the place where the little girl and her cat were). anyway it is an amazin shot of this ruin with fog but then they are walkin off and one lad says to the other , "what you never seen a bit of fog before or somethin?" hahahaha. bit of hungarian comedy there. the fellas in it are always drinkin rum and brandy too and smokin the smokes, made me want to drink some rum and brandy. so after all of that, 7 hours later, i was the only one left that watched the whole thing and a fella came over to me and said, "sorry for disturbing you but the director of the gallery wanted me to give you this as a token of our appreciation" and he gave me two little hardback books with photos in them! i think they're the books for the exhibition that they have on there at the moment. i haven't really looked at them properly but i flicked through one and i saw a photo of a lady's b00bs!!!!
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby OKterrific » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:52 am

Durham wrote:
delgriffith wrote:One thing that's also kind of funny on rewatch is how long Cole/Albert/Diane/Tammy have been cooped up in the hotel in Buckhorn.

yeah i love this, i have no idea why they're even there anymore

Shadow is amazing and when the synth comes on for the second bridge I get transported to the very first Starring KYLE MacLACHLAN back in May when i was just staring agape at the tv in the dark, stunned by what i had just seen

I've rewatched this scene so many times. the music and "James has always been cool" is so great and the fact that that's the last line of the pilot that they spent a year writing is something I think about a lot
mcwop23 wrote:no need for lame earnest dad posts

OKterrific
our rachel maddow

Postby Vegetable » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:38 am

When this is over can we turn this thread into a withdrawal support group?

Vegetable

Postby ~*courteous sage*~ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:40 am

Dope Repo Man av

~*courteous sage*~

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:40 am

yeah that and coop's return have been the most emotional bits for me, for sure
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Vegetable » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:42 am

I'm gonna need support.

And thanks, Good News.

Vegetable

Postby delgriffith » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:45 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:yeah that and coop's return have been the most emotional bits for me, for sure

"Sometimes I really worry about you, Albert" and the Log Lady's final scene :(

delgriffith

Postby ~*courteous sage*~ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 am

Woah I just had this epiphany that this season of twin peaks is pretty much to me what that soap opera was to the characters in the original series. This weird intense thing kind of like a soundtrack to my life. Has been such a fitting constant with the rest of the weirdness these last few months.

~*courteous sage*~

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 am

oh wait yeah i forgot i was a wreck at the first and last log lady scenes
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:24 am

OKterrific wrote:
Durham wrote:
delgriffith wrote:One thing that's also kind of funny on rewatch is how long Cole/Albert/Diane/Tammy have been cooped up in the hotel in Buckhorn.

yeah i love this, i have no idea why they're even there anymore

Shadow is amazing and when the synth comes on for the second bridge I get transported to the very first Starring KYLE MacLACHLAN back in May when i was just staring agape at the tv in the dark, stunned by what i had just seen

I've rewatched this scene so many times. the music and "James has always been cool" is so great and the fact that that's the last line of the pilot that they spent a year writing is something I think about a lot

Also Jacques just casually chilling in the background

It's an amazing scene
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby bongo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:34 am

big ved confirmed for this week
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby deadbass » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:07 am

Every scene with the Log Lady destroyed me because it showed us something that you don't really see in film. Usually actors are kind of like cats - when they know they're dying, they hide out of public sight so people don't really get an image of them close to death. I honestly can't think of a time the physical frailty of an actor's real life has been so integral to their performance. I'm sure there are a bunch of examples, but this really surprised me and hit my heart pretty hard.

deadbass

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:04 am

Jason Robards in Magnolia is a pretty famous example of that

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby klubrick » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:10 am

parallels between Horne bros in original series and Mitchum bros in Return just hit me.

klubrick

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 am

deadbass wrote:Every scene with the Log Lady destroyed me because it showed us something that you don't really see in film. Usually actors are kind of like cats - when they know they're dying, they hide out of public sight so people don't really get an image of them close to death. I honestly can't think of a time the physical frailty of an actor's real life has been so integral to their performance. I'm sure there are a bunch of examples, but this really surprised me and hit my heart pretty hard.

this reminds me - i was thinking about miguel ferrer in S3 and how strange and subdued and sort of blank his performance is.

was he already sick when he started filming this or did lynch just direct him this way?

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:02 pm

he got progressively sweeter as the original series went on and he still has moments where he's kind of a dick.

CARSICK!

light rail coyote

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:05 pm

He found love with Constance Talbot

Eyeball Kid

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:06 pm

gordon standing in the middle of all the electronic bleeps n bloops was so amazing

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby all of the world » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:54 pm

deadbass wrote:Every scene with the Log Lady destroyed me because it showed us something that you don't really see in film. Usually actors are kind of like cats - when they know they're dying, they hide out of public sight so people don't really get an image of them close to death. I honestly can't think of a time the physical frailty of an actor's real life has been so integral to their performance. I'm sure there are a bunch of examples, but this really surprised me and hit my heart pretty hard.

another example is Julian Beck in Poltergeist II. it's one of the only great performances in the movie and it's weird/awesome to use your imminent death to support a horror movie

all of the world

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley