Obvious things that recently Don Don'd you

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby rixx » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:09 pm

is the film sunset boulevard named that because, besides being a major LA street that runs thru hollywood, it has the name sunset in it ie a sunsetting career?

rixx

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:12 pm

father of two wrote:maybe false, but are they called the 'bleachers' because you bleach in the sun while sitting on them?

almost:

The "bench for spectators at a sports field" sense (usually bleachers) is attested since 1889, American English; so named because the boards were bleached by the sun.

Julius Sumner Miller

Postby board ghost » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:13 pm

RIXX wrote:is the film sunset boulevard named that because, besides being a major LA street that runs thru hollywood, it has the name sunset in it ie a sunsetting career?

yes.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

board ghost

Postby aububs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:44 pm

RIXX wrote:is the film sunset boulevard named that because, besides being a major LA street that runs thru hollywood, it has the name sunset in it ie a sunsetting career?

fuuuu :shock:uuk
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:49 pm

RIXX wrote:I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all

It seems to make sense to me as I wouldn't say "me went to the store"

Unless they used to say that back then

joe

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:49 pm

All grammar is made up, in any case

joe

Postby rixx » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:00 pm

joe wrote:
RIXX wrote:I don't know if this is a don don but the latest episode of Lexicon Valley discussed the fact that subject/object rule for personal pronouns, ie John and I went to the store rather than John and me went to the store, was essentially just made up by someone in the late 1800s and then caught on in classrooms and now is taught as a general rule.

and the host gave a bunch of reasons why the rule doesn't really make sense. maybe you should just listen to the episode though instead of me transcribing them all

one of the examples the host used was say you're knocking at someone's door and they ask, "who's there?" you don't say "it is I" you say "it is me" (or the shortened version, just "me") even though me/I is the subject of that sentence.

also he asked why you couldn't switch "John and I went to the store" to "I and John went to the store"

i dunno it's a good podcast/episode, it's part of a larger discussion on the usage of the word "they"

rixx

Postby worrywort » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:52 pm

not even if me want some cookies??

worrywort

Postby Viz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:55 pm

It took a rewatch of Hateful Eight to realize where “hold your horses” came from.
Viz

Postby Patchouli Jim » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:47 pm

joe wrote:

Haven’t you ever heard a caveman talk?
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 pm

RIXX wrote:
joe wrote:

one of the examples the host used was say you're knocking at someone's door and they ask, "who's there?" you don't say "it is I" you say "it is me" (or the shortened version, just "me") even though me/I is the subject of that sentence.

also he asked why you couldn't switch "John and I went to the store" to "I and John went to the store"

i dunno it's a good podcast/episode, it's part of a larger discussion on the usage of the word "they"

Dammit gonna just half to listen

joe

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:
joe wrote:

Haven’t you ever heard a caveman talk?

Arrrrrrrrr, it's drivin me nuts!

joe

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:12 pm

hazmat is short for 'hazardous materials'

Feel like I've figured that out before but it just occurred to me again.
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

(they/them, fwiw)

buriedinspace

Postby grammatron » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:32 pm

joe wrote:All grammar is made up, in any case

ding ding ding

I used to be a fairly staunch prescriptivist back when I was a teacher, but over the years I've gone completely over to the other side. It was the use of "they/them" as a singular pronoun i/r/t gender-non-conforming folks that flipped a switch in my head.

grammatron

Postby pablito » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:33 pm

coop wrote:

from reading the wiki article the derivatives of position are named after the cere edit i see this has been covered
Last edited by pablito on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Offer temporarily suspended in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you for understanding

pablito

Location: chicago illinois, pm me for address, come fucking fight me*

Postby grammatron » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:35 pm

RIXX wrote:
joe wrote:

No it isn't. In the sentence "It is me," 'It' is the subject.

grammatron

Postby joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:44 pm

It me

joe

Postby board ghost » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:58 pm

what clarity is gained by having different pronouns for (some) subject/object situations?

board ghost

Postby The Unblinking Eye » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:10 am

grammatron wrote:
RIXX wrote:
joe wrote:

And you should say "It is I" since "I" is the predicate nominative.

The Unblinking Eye

Postby board ghost » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:11 am

don’t it me

board ghost

Postby rixx » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:21 am

The Unblinking Eye wrote:
grammatron wrote:
RIXX wrote:
joe wrote:

And you should say "It is I" since "I" is the predicate nominative.

right, but his point was that if you said "It is I" in real life, you would get extremely weird looks

anyway i suggest people just listen to the podcast because I probably fucked something up in translation

rixx

Postby Kenny » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:05 am

You say: It me
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Patchouli Jim » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:03 am

“It is I” sounds very drama-kid, it I suppose just Shakespeare.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby Smerdyakov » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:37 am

The rucksack was named after perennially youthful actor Alan Ruck.

Smerdyakov

Postby grammatron » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:31 pm

Yeah "It is I" is some villain pulling off his mask reveal shit.

grammatron

Postby joe » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Parum pum pum, my fellow child barons! It is I, the famed Boy Caspian Rutherford of unfathomable wealth.

joe

Postby Brain Stew » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Smerdyakov wrote:The rucksack was named after perennially youthful actor Alan Ruck.

They were created to commemorate his turn in the cinematic adaptation of Biloxi Blues. Unfortunately, it was actually his Ferris Bueller co-star, Matthew Broderick, not Ruck!
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...

Brain Stew

Postby palmer eldritch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:20 pm

is microsoft excel a pun

palmer eldritch

Postby tgk » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:58 pm

A sawyer is someone who cuts down trees

tgk

Postby Mesh » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 am

Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley