Is this MoviePass thing for real?

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:01 pm

Someone told me about this today. Should I get it?

http://www.moviepass.com
delgriffith wrote:Quick Google search reveals that I have no idea what I'm talking about.
saranclaps ultra mode 9000

Postby endoskeleton » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:02 pm

it's terrible, don't get it, it'll ruin your life

endoskeleton

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:03 pm

How so?
delgriffith wrote:Quick Google search reveals that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Postby mini » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:21 pm

get it. i used it when it first came out and it's fine, not a scam. they're overloaded with new signups rn so it might be funky for a while but the product works.

mini

Postby The Priest » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Yeah it definitely works, I gained 2" and a ton of new stamina in just two weeks
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby easy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:35 pm

yeah my dick has never been harder, or more determined

easy
does it

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:45 pm

mini wrote:get it. i used it when it first came out and it's fine, not a scam. they're overloaded with new signups rn so it might be funky for a while but the product works.

for now...its a long con. explain their business model to me. theyre trying to get fast sign ups and build their brand before massively jacking up rates and running. the average user would have to see 2 movies a month for it to be profitable to them, and that seems like pretty simple math for a consumer to figure out. so, yeah... it'll work short term.... you might get a couple months out of it before they unexpectedly shut down or flex the membership and then shut down. AMC and the other theaters are pushing back because they know step 2 in the "fuck over their subscribers" plan. otherwise, why would they care?
Last edited by hiddenicon on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenicon

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Wait, I can't do anything in advance? I have to physically go to theater? And this shit doesn't work at the Arclight?

Postby Brain Stew » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Actually, they just dropped the price. It used to be like $50 a month I think.
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...

Brain Stew

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 pm

Brain Stew wrote:Actually, they just dropped the price. It used to be like $50 a month I think.

exactly, because it wasnt working at a rate that'd make sense. again, you'll get a month or two, so hey why not? but it seems fishy as fuck long term.

hiddenicon

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:51 pm

seems like The Producers of apps.

hiddenicon

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:57 pm

They idea is that they can make enough on selling your data to justify the low price, I guess.

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 pm

i know the pitch, and just nope. we'll see how it all plays out. the 50 dollar a month plan almost made sense, cause they were trying to find a median between high volume users and 3 times a month folks, though even that seemed likely to ultimately fail, which it was doing, hence the "too good to be true price".
Last edited by hiddenicon on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenicon

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:03 pm

again, why would the theater chains be aggressively pushing back against the company if it was likely to increase sales?

it might be a win-win short term scam (if you dont mind risking all your personal deets and credit card info to a fly by night) for both the company and the user, but it's still just a racket.
Last edited by hiddenicon on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenicon

Postby tatiana maslany » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:11 pm

hiddenicon wrote:again, why would the theater chains be aggressively pushing back against the company if it was likely to increase sales?

it might be a win-win short term scam (if you dont mind risking all your personal deets and credit card info to a fly by night) for both the company and the user, but it's still a just a racket.

most people get more of a rush from thinking an idea is a good idea than from knowing an idea is a good idea?
do you love me like i love me

tatiana maslany
beautiful nihilist animal

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:16 pm

saranclaps wrote:Wait, I can't do anything in advance? I have to physically go to theater? And this shit doesn't work at the Arclight?

I haven't read the responses after this so it may be covered, but yeah, I haven't gotten it because you can't order in advance which is basically every movie I see in theaters. Combine that with AMC trying to pull out of it and I feel like it's more hassle than it's worth if you live in LA.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:16 pm

but, again, at the rate they are asking now, it is a good idea for the consumer 90% of the time (which is shit for a company unless they have ulterior plans to the consumers best interest, so where is the profit). folks who will sign up for the pass will already have to be of the mind set of wanting to, ie somewhat active film goers... otherwise, they only think of dropping their $10 bucks when they go every month or two. the $50 price point almost made sense, because then the "is it good or not good?" questions could legit kick in.... which is probably why it was originally set n that range.
Last edited by hiddenicon on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenicon

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:21 pm

i agree, theyre banking on folks looking for a "too good to be true" deal, which is ALWAYS ultimately bad for the consumers or an incredibly short lived enterprise. maybe these guys are that dumb, but i doubt it. imma go with nefarious at some level, because i cant possibly see how the money makes sense (which, again, i'll trust the moneyed interest in the big theater chains... why wouldnt they support MoviePass if it was putting more asses in the seats, especially when elements of the theater biz are panicking about VOD services? theyve said its bullshit, so why would they lie? a plausible answer to that, and maybe I'd get on board)

we'll see (i expect pretty quickly). if they establish then hey, sign me the fuck up. I go to the movies at least 4 times a month.
Last edited by hiddenicon on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenicon

Postby davideotape » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:24 pm

From everything i can tell they say its making its money on leveraging data *but* its also paying full price for each movie you see, subsidizing your trips from its own pocket. That means, totally left field guessing, an average loss of say $25/month per person (some folks will go every other day, some will sign up and forget about it at that price). Thats not including any overhead.
I admit i dont know a huge amount about the business of target marketing but it seems like pulling in that kind of revenue per person per month seems unreasonable? Anyone know enough about data and target marketing to know thats a real number that can be hit? Maybe with partnerships with Uber/restaurants/distributers?

My best guess is, at some point aside from data selling/target marketing, theyre hoping for a subscriber base thats large enough to start negotiating with theaters to cover as many of those subsidies that they can. If 80-90% of ticket sales go to the distributer and all theaters real $ comes from popcorn, the pitch from moviepass will be that its worth $6/ticket for $25 worth of concessions.Thats why AMC is against it, they dont want it to get to that point where it craters their current business model.

I dunno. I signed up when the price dropped, got an email saying the card should be here next week.
oh, word?

davideotape

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:32 pm

but why would any theater negotiate at all? again, i cant figure out the finances of how MoviePass makes money... how in the world would data mining equal the difference in cost when every low key site on the internet will offer the same service for pennies on the dollar that moviepass would have to eat?

this feels like an early tech bubble idea from '99 that enough people just arent questioning and are wrapped up in the "good idea" of it all. unless, like i suspect these guys have a Producers plan and out that I'm not seeing.... thats clearly what AMC suspects.

hiddenicon

Postby bongo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:34 pm

gonna get in on the ground floor and say that this owns
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:34 pm

i mean fuck, AMC and Regal are often the only games in town. if they lose both of em, the market they lose would be folks who were only going for "the deal" that was short changing them in the first place.

hiddenicon

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:38 pm

bingo wrote:gonna get in on the ground floor and say that this owns

well, it'll be a one story flat, so... again, not saying it wont be cool short term, but there seems to be an invisible or way not too invisible shoe that'll drop.

i can see a short term win-win. and maybe thats all theyre in for... to game the system.
Last edited by hiddenicon on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenicon

Postby inspectorhound » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:40 pm

I'd like a 5K word treatise from hiddenicon stat on why it's dangerous to take advantage of the BOGO domino's pan pizza weeks

inspectorhound

Postby Brain Stew » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:40 pm

It's a month-to-month subscription though?

Worst case scenario you end up dropping $60-70 and this thing goes belly-up.

Brain Stew

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:42 pm

cause dominoes sucks x1667

hiddenicon

Postby inspectorhound » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Like, conceivably many of us buy things and give our cc numbers to unprofitable/unsustainable businesses all the time

inspectorhound

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:43 pm

Brain Stew wrote:It's a month-to-month subscription though?

Worst case scenario you end up dropping $60-70 and this thing goes belly-up.

yeah, win-win. but it absoultely goes belly up at that price point. i have a problem trusting my info to a company who knows this going in. i said that... if you dont, hey, ride the fucking 6 month wave.

hiddenicon

Postby Brain Stew » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:48 pm

I mean, register with a credit card and dispute dishonest charges?

This shit isn't sustainable, but I feel like you are searching for a reason to complain about it.

Brain Stew

Postby davideotape » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:50 pm

theaters will certainly see an increase in traffic and concessions sales with this-- and because of the restrictions of same-day itll be incremental non-event type traffic. People who are going because its spontaneous, fun and already paid for. Theaters will get used to that traffic, and at a certain subscriber-base moviepass will threaten to start removing theater options unless the theaters cough up part of the ticket subsidies. Or move those theaters to a higher tier where the customer will have to choose to pay more or stay with the 9.99. Theyll do the math on what they can get away with. Theyre trying to drink the milkshake.

Even if they raise their rates or go under its $9.99 for now and its not like it will go up retroactively.

Also, i do think that data you think companies can get elsewhere wont have what moviepass has, which is that app the customer needs to use to see thier free movie where ads/coupons can show up. I dont think theyre thinking the primary revenue stream for that data will be the movie industry, they think it will be like Chilis, Outback Steakhouse, the mall-- businesses in the business of "people on dates" and college kids
oh, word?

davideotape

Next

Return to Aguachile Alley