Tarantino X: The Movie Critic

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby inkling » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:27 pm

yeah i guess
a person's life is like a song

inkling

Postby inkling » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:50 pm

Marlon Rando wrote:do y’all ever wonder when you’re watching a movie by Quaton Taradino what it would be like if we gave other people money to make grownup movies, like if once a month we had an auteur movie in theaters instead of once a year

I bet it would be cool and we’d forget all about Quata Tabadabo

was just listening to street fight and the dude made the same point about QT movies seeming better because of our shit movie culture

we could have movies this interesting every week without the misogyny or the crap nostalgia, but no you people enjoy super heroes

inkling

Postby lockheed » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:28 pm

How dare you
Nice day if it doesn't rain.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby manvstrees » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Marlon Rando wrote:
Marlon Rando wrote:do y’all ever wonder when you’re watching a movie by Quaton Taradino what it would be like if we gave other people money to make grownup movies, like if once a month we had an auteur movie in theaters instead of once a year

was just listening to street fight and the dude made the same point about QT movies seeming better because of our shit movie culture

we could have movies this interesting every week without the misogyny or the crap nostalgia, but no you people enjoy super heroes

Those aren't the problem
Slartisfgh is never mentioned in The Bible, but it is here, during one of the early battles, that Matthew spontaneously became liquid.
Radiation trace: negligible

manvstrees

Postby computer problems » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:33 pm

yea. i think the disney monopoly that incubates the superhero movies is the problem not the movies themselves. also i think a lot of interesting movies do come out still in spite of it
computer problems

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:41 pm

I was so drunk during this that I don't even know if I saw it and maybe I just let someone tell me the entire story.

Reliable Tradesman

Postby inkling » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:43 pm

manvstrees wrote:
Marlon Rando wrote:

Those aren't the problem

oh but you think there’s a problem and I’m not just “dum” right

do tell

inkling

Postby The Priest » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:47 pm

some of my best friends are half indian
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby inkling » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:10 pm

computer problems wrote:yea. i think the disney monopoly that incubates the superhero movies is the problem not the movies themselves. also i think a lot of interesting movies do come out still in spite of it

these are all good points. I was just being lazy with the superhero gripe

I think the problem is that only a handful of people are allowed to make movies in the style QT makes them

so when people see a QT movie and the shots last longer than two seconds, or a scene lasts four minutes and doesn’t end with a bang, or there are some non-supernatural adults talking about their lives, then the moviegoer says hey I must be at one of those good movies, this must be a QUALITY MOVIE that I think is great

QT would be the dregs of a decent movie culture, a hack, but our world is such garbage he’s a genius

inkling

Postby The Producer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:00 pm

I think that's an interesting approach to hating on him that I felt 10 years ago, except that this one's great in ways his 90s work was too when there wasnt that same context and it stands out as such, whereas his biggest mainstream/boxoffice hits/oscar-winners have been during the superhero era and function similar to superhero movies with implausibility and good/evil stakes and are pastiches of proto-superhero genre-oversaturating westerns - the real outlier that points to artist vs hack is Death Proof coming after Spiderman starting the problem and before MCU solidified it and everyone shitting on it for most of the same things this one's lauded for - plus when the kinds of artistically progressive movies it seems like youre hoping for are accessible via the mainstream - the Suspiria remake, PTA, recent Malicks - theyre not recognized as such by mainstream or arthouse audiences

The Producer

Postby furrowed brow » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:09 am

Eh.
furrowed brow

Postby manvstrees » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:24 am

basically hot take friday
Slartisfgh is never mentioned in The Bible, but it is here, during one of the early battles, that Matthew spontaneously became liquid.

manvstrees

Postby inkling » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:59 am

manvstrees wrote:basically hot take friday

aw your feelings got hurt because people said mean things about comic books

but you’re being so brave about it

inkling

Postby manvstrees » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:07 am

just kinda digging yourself deeper
you have to get past studio system and execs and also how this superhero wave isn't all that different from 80s/90s action movies before you can start on how culture sucks, since tv in general, and horror are both consistently putting out genuinely interesting and creative material and talent is consistently getting some money to create

manvstrees

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:08 am

lol you're trashing superhero movies, a huge director who makes stuff UNlike the other popular stuff, and acting like moviegoers are just fooled into thinking they like his movies?
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby manvstrees » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:12 am

they've all been duped they should just give that money to an auteur
-hipinion

manvstrees

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:12 am

"no not that one"
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby inkling » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:27 am

nah I liked this movie

inkling

Postby galactagogue » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:31 am

lol at the faith in QT-style movies that don't exist being almost certainly all better than QT movies. Like a condescension from a non-existent future.
Da Bing Boy wrote:future of work is going to be hilarious, actually

galactagogue

Postby easy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:33 am

Reliable Tradesman wrote:I was so drunk during this that I don't even know if I saw it and maybe I just let someone tell me the entire story.

this, to me, is known as "the ol' Atomic Blonde"

easy
does it

Postby inkling » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:35 am

manvstrees wrote:just kinda digging yourself deeper
you have to get past studio system and execs and also how this superhero wave isn't all that different from 80s/90s action movies before you can start on how culture sucks, since tv in general, and horror are both consistently putting out genuinely interesting and creative material and talent is consistently getting some money to create

I’m really talking about visual and narrative style

most horror movies are shot like superhero movies, and so when you have a movie that isn’t shot that way people think it’s far more special than it is

I don’t think anyone is being duped into liking QT. His contemporaries just make him look like a genius. The idea that he’s a genius is what I’m sick of.

inkling

Postby inkling » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:39 am

galactagogue wrote:lol at the faith in QT-style movies that don't exist being almost certainly all better than QT movies. Like a condescension from a non-existent future.

that’s pretty much accurate

I think we could have a much better movie culture than we do. I think our movies are appallingly bad.

like, in my movie culture someone like Miranda July would get money thrown at her to make a movie every year

and she would makemovies with long takes and non superheroes talking about their lives
Last edited by inkling on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

inkling

Postby easy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:39 am

Marlon Rando wrote:most horror movies are shot like superhero movies

wat

easy
does it

Postby inkling » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:43 am

yeah easy a lot of horror movies share a style with superhero movies and they both often involve supernatural characters

movies in the horror and action genres usually have short scenes that end with a loud noise

they’re a series of two-minute crescendoes

QT seems artistic by comparison
Last edited by inkling on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

inkling

Postby Giuseppe Castiglione » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 am

another completely serviceable qt joint

this is trite, but pulp fiction is his only truly great film

Giuseppe Castiglione

Postby manvstrees » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:06 am

Marlon Rando wrote:most horror movies are shot like superhero movies, and so when you have a movie that isn’t shot that way people think it’s far more special than it is

not gonna parse this one

manvstrees

Postby inkling » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:33 am

yeah man let’s drop it, you don’t want to talk, you just want to snark bc I think superhero movies are lame

tell me what “that’s not the problem” means if you want to talk, parse that for me

inkling

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:37 am

the 'philes are at it again!

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby inkling » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:39 am

tell me what you think the problem is manvstrees

inkling

Postby easy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:47 am

anyone want to watch my FBI episode with me

easy
does it

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley