books books books

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Occlusion » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:27 am

Always on a physics kick. The two most recent embodiments of it are the two following. Just finished Sheldrake, which held more water than expected, and starting Rees now. Both are fun for dweebs.

ImageToggle Spoiler
ImageToggle Spoiler

Occlusion

Postby j-ol » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:51 am

hey abs are you able to procure a copy of joseph mcelroy's women and men? seems out of print everywhere

j-ol

Postby abs » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Alibris has a few listed, not sure of your budget: https://m.alibris.com/Women-and-Men-Jos ... matches=23
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

abs
Queen Witch

Postby i_am_agriculture » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:32 pm

j-ol wrote:hey abs are you able to procure a copy of joseph mcelroy's women and men? seems out of print everywhere

Is it not available from Dzanc anymore?
https://www.dzancbooks.org/our-books/women-and-men

i_am_agriculture

Postby j-ol » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:25 am

i_am_agriculture wrote:
j-ol wrote:hey abs are you able to procure a copy of joseph mcelroy's women and men? seems out of print everywhere

they only ship to the US :'(

why is this book so rare/expensive

j-ol

Postby i_am_agriculture » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 pm

j-ol wrote:
i_am_agriculture wrote:

I looked back at the reading group thread and a couple people said that if you email michelle@dzancbooks.org, they'll ship internationally. Pretty sure there's an epub floating around somewhere if you don't care about having a physical copy though.

i_am_agriculture

Postby j-ol » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:02 pm

thanks v much!! just sent an email.

j-ol

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:41 pm

Huh, glad I checked this thread. I didn't know Dzanc did another print run of Women and Men.

Eyeball Kid

Postby j-ol » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:59 pm

She emailed back quoting $25 for the book and $35 for the shipping, yikes. 60 USD is too much unfortunately. trawl used bookstores forever i guess.

j-ol

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:01 pm

US to Canada shipping and vice-versa is insane. It's much cheaper to have something imported from the UK.

Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:52 pm

And I just got my shipping notice. Within the US it was only $5.

Eyeball Kid

Postby bobby5 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Yep, it's kinda better to write your own book, isn't it.

It remembers me a time, when I was writing an essay all days long, during my preparation for exam.
bobby5

Postby j-ol » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:54 pm

bobby5 wrote:

Yep, it's kinda better to write your own book, isn't it.

It remembers me a time, when I was writing an essay all days long, during my preparation for exam.

first of all, great post #3

i am definitely going to re-write women and men and i already have loads of improvements in mind, even though i haven't read it

j-ol

Postby buriedinspace » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:08 pm

Anyone with any recs for me for some fiction? I read a ton of non-fiction but... feeling the itch for some fiction.

Some notes: would love something recent, because I'm weirdly in the mindset of liking to be part of a still ongoing conversation, I like short stories and most of the time prefer stuff that has some comedic touch to it. I went through a period of reading mostly stuff like Simon Rich and Sam Lipsyte, read a ton of George Saunders too, but even though that stuff is a nice corrective to the ultra serious non-fiction I'm usually reading, I probably am looking for something more substantive. I also used to adore Kurt Vonnegut. By the same token, though, I also read everything David Foster Wallace ever wrote and adored his short story collections and Infinite Jest. I spent a good portion of my young adulthood focusing on 'very serious novels' - I liked Crime and Punishment and stuff. The last novel I read that knocked my socks off was 'The Idiot' by Elif Bautman. I was considering reading 'Normal People' by Sally Rooney, just because I'd heard good things and it was in the Dropbox but would be curious if people had some other suggestions.
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

(they/them, fwiw)

buriedinspace

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:30 pm

My copy of Women and Men arrived today. It is large. I think all the women and men are inside it.

Eyeball Kid

Postby kid8 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:21 am

Gross.
we hardley knew thee.

kid8
killer

Postby Repo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:47 am

buriedinspace wrote:Anyone with any recs for me for some fiction? I read a ton of non-fiction but... feeling the itch for some fiction.

Some notes: would love something recent, because I'm weirdly in the mindset of liking to be part of a still ongoing conversation, I like short stories and most of the time prefer stuff that has some comedic touch to it. I went through a period of reading mostly stuff like Simon Rich and Sam Lipsyte, read a ton of George Saunders too, but even though that stuff is a nice corrective to the ultra serious non-fiction I'm usually reading, I probably am looking for something more substantive. I also used to adore Kurt Vonnegut. By the same token, though, I also read everything David Foster Wallace ever wrote and adored his short story collections and Infinite Jest. I spent a good portion of my young adulthood focusing on 'very serious novels' - I liked Crime and Punishment and stuff. The last novel I read that knocked my socks off was 'The Idiot' by Elif Bautman. I was considering reading 'Normal People' by Sally Rooney, just because I'd heard good things and it was in the Dropbox but would be curious if people had some other suggestions.

'The idiot' looks amazing, thanks for the tip!
I read that Elif Batuman is a huge fan of the russians (she wrote an essay about them and I suppose "The idiot" is a nod to Dostoyevski), so I'm going to recommend a russian author that I've discovered recently: Sergei Dovlatov.
I've read three of his books in a row, I'd recommend "Pushkin Hills" but all of them are awesome.
hope you dig it!

Repo

Postby Avalanche Lily » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:45 pm

Does anyone else read books of questionable worth that they foraged from Little Free Libraries

I'm currently reading a book called 'Half Moon Bay' and it's the pits

Avalanche Lily

Postby quinine » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:36 pm

I've never seen a book in one of those that was
worth picking up, no

quinine
ok

Postby mondrary » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:51 pm

i found an old penguin edition of the idiot by dostoyevsky in one of these in chicago!
TradePascalSiakam Free Kyrie Irving wrote:Hell I tell chicks my middle name

mondrary

Postby Repo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:06 pm

mondrary wrote:i found an old penguin edition of the idiot by dostoyevsky in one of these in chicago!

best the idiot is elif batuman's, don't @ at me

Repo

Postby Zurich » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:04 pm

dvr wrote:
staple wrote:is there a hpn group on goodreads?

there is this https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/90366.Hip_Opinions

also

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/49-hipinion

Zurich

Postby Throwback_Jones » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:26 am

Even withe most cursory glance, I'm recognizing some familiar names: joe, Eyeball Kid, Zurich, etc. Crazy.

Sadly, I don't have much to offer in the literature department. The books I'd recommend now are likely the same ones I would have recommended 10 or 20 years ago (A Confederacy of Dunces, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, A Simple Plan, etc.).
Throwback_Jones

Postby AdamThomas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:27 pm

Avalanche Lily wrote:Does anyone else read books of questionable worth that they foraged from Little Free Libraries

I'm currently reading a book called 'Half Moon Bay' and it's the pits

no, I like the idea though. The closest I come to that is picking up a book at a used book sale that I have no idea about. When you read a good one, it feels like a major discovery. I found My Life on Earth by Edward Harris Heth this way and I loved it.

AdamThomas

Postby AdamThomas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:28 pm

speaking of, who likes going to book sales? The university here has one twice a year and then the local public library has numerous throughout the year. Besides thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales, they are basically the only places I shop for books (and records).

AdamThomas

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:24 pm

Related to the subject at hand, back in the mid-aughts when I worked at a major chain bookstore, I spent $2 on a remaindered hardcover edition of A.M. Homes's This Book Will Save Your Life. I liked the few of her short stories I had read previously, but found this novel unbearably smug.

It also just so happened that the remaindered copy I purchased was autographed. I don't know what became of my copy. Probably whatever happens to books that were sent to the landfill ten-plus years ago.

Eyeball Kid

Postby head gardener » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:12 am

Computer says no(nce)

head gardener

Postby roland.farts » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:29 pm

are people here fans of 2666? currently working through the part about amalfitano. extremely tempted to ask "does it get better" but i think i already know that questions will be left unanswered and thats The Point

roland.farts

Postby aububs » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:54 am

have faith in the book, roland farts. have faith in bolano. things will be revealed and questions will be answered

there are big fans of 2666 on the board

https://forums3.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111129&hilit=bolano
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby kid8 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:59 am

Your eyes play weird. But it never gets you.
we hardley knew thee.

kid8
killer

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley