Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:19 am

Billy Porter is so good in this.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby mellowgold » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:43 am

I didn’t really mean to come off rude bc I get the complaint that a lot of prestige shows/Ryan Murphy shows clock in at a full 60 min or more but I think if any show should warrant that extra time it’s a show like this
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Denise » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 am

ok

for me it felt longer than most prestige shows, like it was just running over and I was wondering if it was two hours or what was going on

something about the pacing made the time difference really apparent
Denise

Postby aububs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:44 am

the first one or two eps were p long but I think it settled into sort of regular length eps after that no? isn't it also quite common for the first ep of a new "prestige" show to be extra long?

it does annoy me when tv shows do super long eps but whatever. this is my favourite thing on tv right now
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby mellowgold » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:05 am

yeah a number of shows considered prestige-y usually have runtimes of 60 min not including commercials. and esp Murphy shows. i think he had so much leeway at Fox/FX, episodes of his shows get any runtime they want. i know some American Horror Story episodes came in at random times each week.
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold

Postby Alexis » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:51 am

i just can't believe they get to say fuck and shit on tv at 8pm here lol
but this show is great this weeks was so emotionally heavy but so good
Alexis

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:32 pm

My issue with the initial length was, while certain shows and especially ones on FX tend to have a longer pilot and finale, they usually cut back on the length a bit during the middle episodes. The first three episodes of Pose were all an hour and 45 minutes (with commercials), causing it to drag a lot initially. Now it's down to an hour and 15 minutes, which I'm perfectly fine with, and I haven't felt any pacing issues at all in the last few episodes. They also happen to be my favorite episodes so far.

Ryan Murphy did the same thing with American Horror Story and I think it suffered a lot as a result. It gave too much legroom for him to throw every stupid ass idea into each season, and it usually resulted in a muddled mess. In some instances like Hotel, I just gave up on the season entirely for those reasons. Dude needs to find someone who can edit him better.

Since he took more of a backseat after the first few episodes, this season has been really good.
jalapeño ranch

Postby aububs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:52 am

i really wanted blanca to go on that date with the big dick pick up line hunkToggle Spoiler. I don't think pray tell was? but blanca was def lip-syncing in that hospital scene, right? it didn't really sound like her. thought that scene was incredible tho...honouring your sick loved ones with a killer lip sync show...very cool

also nice to see ricky and lil papi wining trophiesToggle Spoiler
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby mellowgold » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 am

jalapeño ranch wrote:My issue with the initial length was, while certain shows and especially ones on FX tend to have a longer pilot and finale, they usually cut back on the length a bit during the middle episodes. The first three episodes of Pose were all an hour and 45 minutes (with commercials), causing it to drag a lot initially. Now it's down to an hour and 15 minutes, which I'm perfectly fine with, and I haven't felt any pacing issues at all in the last few episodes. They also happen to be my favorite episodes so far.

Ryan Murphy did the same thing with American Horror Story and I think it suffered a lot as a result. It gave too much legroom for him to throw every stupid ass idea into each season, and it usually resulted in a muddled mess. In some instances like Hotel, I just gave up on the season entirely for those reasons. Dude needs to find someone who can edit him better.

Since he took more of a backseat after the first few episodes, this season has been really good.

yeah the random runtimes on AHS: Hotel was unwarranted and did nothing to improve the mess of the story being told. it works for Pose. These stories are very different and ones that have never been explored in this much depth on the small screen. It's always hard to set up a new show; a new world. i think we're also being a little bit picky here lol bc i think the show is over all really great so if the biggest issue we're harping on is running time im fine with that.

aububs wrote:i really wanted blanca to go on that date with the big dick pick up line hunkToggle Spoiler. I don't think pray tell was? but blanca was def lip-syncing in that hospital scene, right? it didn't really sound like her. thought that scene was incredible tho...honouring your sick loved ones with a killer lip sync show...very cool

also nice to see ricky and lil papi wining trophiesToggle Spoiler

the "Home" scene was so moving. i was talking about that episode w/ my coworker and told him i found it a little bit emotionally manipulative but he disagreed -- he lived through the AIDS crisis in the 80s and lost his partner at the time and he said those conversations were very real and authentic.

I've seen next week's episode and this show just continues to get more fucking intense and devastating.
mellowgold

Postby aububs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:45 am

mellowgold wrote:a little bit emotionally manipulative

it's crossed my mind on occasion that this is the case, so v glad to hear it seems authentic from somebody who lived it

I mean compared to something like 120 BPM it is def the ryan murphy/prestige tv/primetime version of this story, but that's fine. that's what I want it to be
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Alexis » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 pm

next week is the season finale already :(
but at least this got picked up for season 2!
Alexis

Postby soft milk » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:21 am

This show rules
sarcastic mr. know-it-all
soft milk

Postby Ersaph » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:57 am

Pose is the best show on TV
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.
Ersaph

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:22 am

ahem a certain show called 9-1-1 comes back this fall!

It's up there.Toggle Spoiler
jalapeño ranch

Postby scrambled » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:06 pm

ok i watched the first 15 minutes of the pilot and was like already so floored. need to find the right time/place to maybe binge. do we think this is a good binge or should i stagger it
scrambled

Postby mellowgold » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:09 pm

You can binge it

Finale was excellent
mellowgold

Postby mellowgold » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:19 pm

Can the thread title be edited to “so we now think pose is very good”
mellowgold

Postby Alexis » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:34 pm

what a great great show that finale was everything
cant wait for season 2
Alexis

Postby aububs » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:06 pm

liked the finale altho it felt a bit, uh, final...not sure where it will go for season 2. i'll be back tho

scene between pray tell and his date in the restaurant was really beautiful

billy porter is one of the best things in this imo
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby mellowgold » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:14 pm

aububs wrote:liked the finale altho it felt a bit, uh, final...not sure where it will go for season 2.

im guessing the cast/crew wasnt sure the show would be renewed for a second season so wanted to have some solid closure in case this ended up being a one-and-done thing.
mellowgold

Postby hyperbole man » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:45 am

finally caught up with and finished this

lost it (laughing) at elektra freaking out about al b. sureToggle Spoiler

lost it (crying) at like everythingToggle Spoiler

easily one of the best shows on tv i love it :)
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby father of two » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:35 am

give billy porter an emmy. wouldn't have a problem with cutting kate mara, she kind of flubbed it imo.

really loved this.
father of two

Postby Alexis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:32 pm

this is still one of my favorite things from this year
Alexis

Postby scrambled » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:21 am

ok i finally finished the last half of the season. so good. it all feels so earned .
scrambled

Postby Alexis » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:08 am

my post above still stands im so excited for season 2
Alexis

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:09 am

posting to remember to add this to my watch list
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:55 pm

I watched the first episode of Pose (I hope that Paris is Burning gets some writing credit...)

But then I went to the wikipedia and the first three case people listed are white:

Main
Evan Peters as Stan Bowes, Patty's husband who works in Trump Tower. He becomes Angel's lover.
Kate Mara as Patty Bowes, Stan's wife, mother of their children.
James Van Der Beek as Matt Bromley, Stan's kingpin boss.
Mj Rodriguez as Blanca Rodriguez-Evangelista, the founder and mother of the House of Evangelista. Blanca is an HIV-positive trans woman and former member of the House of Abundance.
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby scrambled » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:06 pm

they are top-billed because they are most known? what are you saying
scrambled

Postby mellowgold » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:08 pm

i think there are a few things to pick apart about Pose, which is a truly groundbreaking remarkable and enjoyable tv show, but its wikipedia article isnt one them
mellowgold

Postby mellowgold » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:09 pm

scrambled wrote:they are top-billed because they are most known? what are you saying

right lol

like yeah thats stupid bc 2 of those actors have small roles but its fucking wikipedia
mellowgold

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....