Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Grumby » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:30 pm

yeah there was a bunch of lemonheads letterman videos where he's filling in. dino too. kinda weird
Last edited by Grumby on Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumby

Postby Eyeball Kid » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:30 pm

Westerberg as solo act would eventually appear on Letterman, and yes, Shaffer played along.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Hugh » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:50 pm

Got Trouble Boys from the library.
Hugh

Postby Grumby » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:10 pm

Hugh wrote:Got Trouble Boys from the library.

hell yeah
Grumby

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Why all the hate for the production on Tim?
Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby Grumby » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:17 pm

Milquetoaster Strudels wrote:Why all the hate for the production on Tim?

it's not the worst in the world. i mean the songs and energy are good enough that i don't over analyze it. but it's certainly a dated sheen
Grumby

Postby 58769 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:55 am

it's just....not good?

the couple of tracks produced by Alex Chilton around that era are more to my liking.

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:26 am

I guess the only songs whose production I'd really go to bat for are Hold My Life and Bastards of Young, but fuck they've always sounded great to me. I'd be down with remixes of pretty much every other song tho

I like the album mix of Can't Hardly Wait better, partly cuz I like the flow of the final lyrics better, and also because I think the riff sounds better with a clean tone
Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby Grumby » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:20 pm

"nowhere near my home" is a top ten for me of their songs.

i didn't know alex chilton produced it but in the book it emphasizes that alex was into partying recklessly when the replacements were trying to get away from it. they didn't need someone to egg on their behavior basically so it didn't work out
Grumby

Postby Grumby » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:23 pm

i find that funny because these guys meet their hero who they wrote a song about and instead he's just as fucked up as them. seems like it would throw me for a loop
Grumby

Postby budlite supernova » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:40 pm

budlite supernova

Postby Hal Jordan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:30 am

Hugh wrote:Got Trouble Boys from the library.

i got trouble boys from the library, too

i'm heading into the very last part of it, with the band about to break up.

it's a great book! it was imposing when i picked it up and saw it was 400-plus pages, but it is really engaging and quick to get through
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Hal Jordan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:32 am

i appreciate how the drunken mayhem was depicted as self-medicating and in a large way self-sabotage and really personally destructive instead of some rock n roll fantasy
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Hal Jordan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:34 am

there are so many anecdotes of going wild and destroying things that under other authorship might read as "these dudes are a trip,they don't give a fuck, so rock" that instead in Trouble Boys are like "good god i would hate to have to spend any time around those assholes"
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:33 am

yeah, it's truly an excellent book and such good deep look at their .. psyche I guess
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Hal Jordan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:11 am

man they did chris mars dirty. just finished the part where he walks into the studio for all shook down and he finds the dudes jamming with another drummer.
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:03 pm

And that's not even half as bad as the 1-2 punch of how they treated Bob Stinson when he was trying to get sober, only for them to later unceremoniously dump him from the band because of those same addiction issues that they exacerbated

Dudes were absolutely total shitheads and it made me sort of glad that Westerberg never hit it big as some sort of karmic payback for pushing Bob towards an early death
Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby shacky » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:09 pm

yikes maybe i don't wanna read this

im pretty happy living in mythic rock n roll fantasyland when it comes to this band
shacky

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Milquetoaster Strudels wrote:And that's not even half as bad as the 1-2 punch of how they treated Bob Stinson when he was trying to get sober, only for them to later unceremoniously dump him from the band because of those same addiction issues that they exacerbated

Dudes were absolutely total shitheads and it made me sort of glad that Westerberg never hit it big as some sort of karmic payback for pushing Bob towards an early death

They were all shitheads, yeah, but Bob Stinson wasn't exactly an innocent.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:22 pm

To clarify: yeah, Bob's attempts to go clean did not go well over with that rest of the band, but he still engaged in some terrible behavior that he had no one other than himself to blame.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:38 pm

No doubt about it. It's been a long time since I read Our Band Could Be Your Life and I haven't read Trouble Boys, but this line has been seared in my brain since I was 17:

"Either take a drink, motherfucker, or get off my stage."

Like, yeah they were all pieces of shit, but that's planting a flag at the summit of shit mountain
Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby warmjets » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Bob was dealt a shit hand in life
warmjets

Postby Hal Jordan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Milquetoaster Strudels wrote:No doubt about it. It's been a long time since I read Our Band Could Be Your Life and I haven't read Trouble Boys, but this line has been seared in my brain since I was 17:

"Either take a drink, motherfucker, or get off my stage."

Like, yeah they were all pieces of shit, but that's planting a flag at the summit of shit mountain

That line is greatly disputed in the book
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby shacky » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:47 pm

i really hope he didn't do that
shacky

Postby Grey Poupon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 am

look they were all pieces of shit but the book certainly presents them in an empathic fashion
we're all pieces of shit sometimes

they were still fucking awesome and the book didn't change my mind at all about how fucking awesome they were when they were 'on'
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby chz » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:05 am

Personal notes I don’t mention much to anybody.

I mixed at the uptown bar three or four nights a week. One night we had Charlie Pickett and the Eggs (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XizQON1Yp2I) and Bob Dunlap was sitting in/trying out for the band. He was loud as fuck and I had to ask him to turn down so I could get the vocals up.
After sound check I noticed the mic was far off his amp so I moved it back into place, he wheeled around and kicked it right over. “ why the fuck are you telling me to turn down and then putting a mic on my amp!”
Though technical reasons abound as to the why- I took his point and that scenario guides me to this day as I steer musicians to a good sounding gig. We became friends after the gig, he gave me more than a few rides home and his kids babysat mine.

The other thing I learned mixing there was from the other Bob. He would relentlessly badger me to turn the guitars up, I could see him coming from across the bar and I knew exactly what he was going to say. “Turn the fucking guitars UP!” . I did, he was hard to say no too. Guitar players love me now.

Sorry if this is outta place here but I miss and owe them both.
chz

Postby Hal Jordan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:41 am

Not outta place! Thanks for the anecdotes
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby delgriffith » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:43 am

Yeah that's rad, thank you for sharing
delgriffith

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:14 am

That's super awesome! I played my first show at the Uptown Bar and it's to my eternal regret that I was too timid to use the drink tickets I got cuz I guess I must have passed for 21. I think they tore it down within the year and that's my only experience there :(

Heck, it may have been you running sound that night. I still have the soundboard recording of the performance somewhere
Milquetoaster Strudels

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....