Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby goofy's dead wife » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:26 pm

it is a good, if poorly dated record that hangs together remarkably as an blum, but i think my beautiful dark twisted fantasy will be remembered for it's 'influence' (which to my ears, is basically just pioneering the fun./imagine dragons/ajr. sound so hey! the music in kony 2012!) in the same way that nirvana are remembered for their 'influence' for being responsible nickelback. it also hastened like, kanye's quick retreat into the tabloid image version of himself to the point where watching him in 2019 is an extended

which seems unilaterally negative to me.
Last edited by goofy's dead wife on Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what we do in life echoes in eternity
goofy's dead wife

Postby goofy's dead wife » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:27 pm

oh yeah i've just been interpreting this thread about being about the 2010s for the most part because we're in the final year of them but anyway i think if you remember the 00s as a decade of 'worshipping the villain' in the vein of vice/terry richardson/r kelly/kanye/coked up blog house and dancepunk and then kanye's trump worship as being defined in part by being confused as to why rooting for the villain is less in fashion in 2019 pop culture then like. you know. despite being released at the tail end of 2010. it's a record that remarkably captures the 2000s. but i don't know if that's how most people view it. idk. i apologize for making posts about kanye west.

what we do in life echoes in eternity
goofy's dead wife

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:35 pm

howiep wrote:marvel movies like really bringing us together in dark times or something

people pretending that chris evans is a good actor
light rail coyote

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 pm

american apparel
spotify
food halls
pc music
The Emperor's Son

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:41 pm

marvel movies is a good one.

"there was a time in the 2010's where nearly every month or every other month you could reliably see a big budget superhero film where the details mattered"
The Emperor's Son

Postby Grumby » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:50 pm

i've never liked pc music at all. i felt really out of place when they were peak hype. like the most annoying execution of a band/idea ever and they did a mcdonalds commercial! but i can forgive clipse
Grumby

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:55 pm

I like pc music quite a bit but I think when cultural excavators will look for the cool more dangerous sounding things from the era they're front and center
The Emperor's Son

Postby terrific bedwetter » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:56 pm

if it happens, this is what happens:

people will agree that superhero movies suck and then 10 years later their children will decide it is normcore (and independently discover normcore) and start wearing star wars movie theatre cups around their necks
terrific bedwetter

Postby Grumby » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:57 pm

cool, more dangerous sounding? i really liked (and still like) bass music and post-dubstep but i think they were pretty hackneyed. it's like an irony throwback seven years years too late. they would of been a vice magazine band like a.r.e weapons
Last edited by Grumby on Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumby

Postby terrific bedwetter » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:03 pm

skrillex - reptile theme will be my wedding song
terrific bedwetter

Postby Grumby » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:11 pm

soundcloud rap seems to have infiltrated a whole four years of highschool students, i think. that will probably be the "dangerous" angle. 6ix9nine and lil pump
Grumby

Postby furrowed brow » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:16 pm

It is crazy how much boomers love woodstock, I truly can't imagine what contemporary cultural events will see that degree of nostalgia.
furrowed brow

Postby Grumby » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:17 pm

furrowed brow wrote:It is crazy how much boomers love woodstock, I truly can't imagine what contemporary cultural events will see that degree of nostalgia.

i've had to deal with woodstock nostalgia for months now when i drive a car and listen to the radio. woodstock is ten minutes away from me. i'm fucking sick of it.

they never talk about how the new one failed, though. it's just like "hey... do you know this woodstock fact?
Grumby

Postby Grumby » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:18 pm

we probably won't even get old enough to reminiscence that hard
Grumby

Postby dvr » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:18 pm

visa-free EU travel
dvr

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:21 pm

what should be overhyped upon reflection on this era:

file-sharing culture
The Emperor's Son

Postby gold and glass » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:32 pm

probably my big fat ass
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby Grumby » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:39 pm

object wrote:I think the very notion of a cultural artifact such as woodstock is itself obsolete. Time has sped up and we no longer have a shared culture. There is not a demos but demoi. There is not a mythos but mythoi. We live in many worlds.

i agree too but it's almost jarring to hear about it so often. something like nirvana we probably won't even have either. it's ok and it's how things are but it's just so different. there's things happening but they will never see such a wide scope for the most part
Grumby

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 pm

election night 2016 is the last big shared monocultural event we all felt some sort of shock or trauma from
The Emperor's Son

Postby brian dennehy fan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:02 pm

will everyone look back and say what was the deal with Supreme
brian dennehy fan

Postby DasLofGang » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:04 pm

The Emperor's Son wrote:election night 2016 is the last big shared monocultural event we all felt some sort of shock or trauma from

except half of us were pumped as fuck about it
You remind me of Don Knotts.
DasLofGang

Postby DasLofGang » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:05 pm

it would have been so weird if the day after space shuttles blew up you went into work and people were high fiving each other about how awesome it was
DasLofGang

Postby Grumby » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:06 pm

brian dennehy fan wrote:will everyone look back and say what was the deal with Supreme

supreme is pretty 90's-00's but you could say in like the past five or six years it's taken on a life of it's own for like 13 year old lil pump fans to buy a bunch of things off the webstore. so maybe.

i grew up with my older peers than me wearing supreme and it was a like a mark of authenticity or "realness" or something. i definitely bought into it. i had a few supreme shirts circa like 2007
Last edited by Grumby on Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumby

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:07 pm

Grumby wrote:
object wrote:I think the very notion of a cultural artifact such as woodstock is itself obsolete. Time has sped up and we no longer have a shared culture. There is not a demos but demoi. There is not a mythos but mythoi. We live in many worlds.

i agree too but it's almost jarring to hear about it so often. something like nirvana we probably won't even have either. it's ok and it's how things are but it's just so different. there's things happening but they will never see such a wide scope for the most part

yeah i hadn't thought about it this way but i think this is correct. i think the lack of a visible monoculture means that this type of thing will become increasingly rare, especially when combined with the fact that so much of our culture is now steeped in this perpetual nostalgia that means that future nostalgia will be people getting nostalgic for, like, the will and grace reunion or whatever.

obviously nostalgia has always been a part of culture and it's not exactly new but i do think it's become the dominant cultural form- for boomers/gen-x/older millennials it's a type of unironic affection, and for zoomers and younger it's kind of this nihilistic/deeply ironic thing that's kind of lamenting the lack of any real future, culturally or otherwise.

the one exception is the collective trauma of those who experienced both drinking original recipe 4loko and watching it get banned
light rail coyote

Postby DasLofGang » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:11 pm

boomers' relationship with nostalgia is unique to them, it borders on fetish territory
DasLofGang

Postby DasLofGang » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:12 pm

yeah other gens do it but..... not like /that/ jfc ew
DasLofGang

Postby Grumby » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:13 pm

Grumby wrote:
brian dennehy fan wrote:will everyone look back and say what was the deal with Supreme

supreme is pretty 90's-00's but you could say in like the past five or six years it's taken on a life of it's own for like 13 year old lil pump fans to buy a bunch of things off the webstore. so maybe.

i grew up with my older peers than me wearing supreme and it was a like a mark of authenticity or "realness" or something. i definitely bought into it. i had a few supreme shirts circa like 2007

a lot of the markers of what made them some kind of cool elitist institution are lost on a lot of people who didn't grow up skateboarding in new york but the idea of it lives. that this shit is "cool" and you need to buy it.

i remember going into the store when i was really young and had no idea what it was really and it was a memorable experience. i'd only been to nyc like twice before that
Grumby

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:22 pm

light rail coyote wrote:4loko
struttin' evil mushroom

Postby hadlex » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:44 pm

i think I missed the 4loko experience. was it like Sparks?

and I one reason I think we'll be enduring the baby boomer generation as the cultural-generation-of-record for a while because it's their songs that get played by wedding cover bands and the singer-songwriter guy at the bar. modern pop/hip-hop music doesn't really lend itself to being covered.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby dvr » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:56 pm

hadlex wrote:i think I missed the 4loko experience. was it like Sparks?

Yeah
dvr

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....