Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:09 pm

where it's the norm now that if a car is approaching a light that just turned yellow and they were still far enough away to slow down and stop, they will not do that. There's not even a detectable speeding up here; the car cruises through the red light as if it isn't there, all at the same speed they were driving before.

I started this thread because this is a fairly recent development. I also don't intend this to be another venue for venting about shitty drivers, but one in which I reflect why this only now does this seem to be happening regularly. I've lived here for 11 years. I think it's one of the end results of the gentrification that's been occurring over that stretch. There are probably studies linking gentrification with this sort of thing, right?
Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:12 pm

My neighborhood has become one of *the* places to go in this city to do cool shit. More people come here than ever before to go to all the bars and restaurants, so it's natural that there's been an increase in awful drivers.
Eyeball Kid

Postby lockheed » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:17 pm

Does that just mean you're neighborhood has become more affluent?
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Property values have skyrocketed, certainly
Eyeball Kid

Postby lockheed » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Well I certainly like to relax when my pockets are lined
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby emotional fascism » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:19 pm

i see this all over. also cars continuing to turn left against traffic after a light has turned red for like 5-10 seconds. it's insane behavior.

convinced i'm set to die at the hand of one of these assholes.
emotional fascism

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:21 pm

There are also several roads with street parking, so that makes driving a little cramped. I've seen signs people have put in front of their houses reading DRIVE LIKE YOUR CHILDREN LIVE HERE, given there are certainly people who do not live here on any given day tear-assing down these narrow streets.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:30 pm

emotional fascism wrote:i see this all over. also cars continuing to turn left against traffic after a light has turned red for like 5-10 seconds. it's insane behavior.

There are other areas here in Jax where this has been the case for years. My thinking is those assholes are now bringing their reckless driving to where I live because it's THE PLACE TO COME HANG.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Buddy Knox » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Tickets for running a red light are expensive. I know because I received a citation in the mail and I was able to fight it because I had clearly stopped before turning right.

Meanwhile my boss seems to get one like every 4 or 5 months and I guess he can afford to pay them because he’s rich.
Buddy Knox

Postby Buddy Knox » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Also I guess I should add I have no idea how many times that needs to happen before they take your license away.
Buddy Knox

Postby easy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:54 pm

6, I think
easy
does it

Postby Grendel » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:01 am

That sounds like every intersection where I live when it's winter it is fucking chaos.
Grendel

Postby kid8 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:15 am

I can explain this in two ways.
1. It is hazardous to slow down too early just because you see a yellow light.

2. It is well known now that you can legally be inside of an intersection when the light is red, as long as you crossed the line while it was yellow.
Oh, I'm a failure, because i haven't got a brain.
kid8
killer

Postby viachicago » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:43 am

I see no reason every single traffic signal in the entire country is not equipped with a red light camera which triggers an automatic fine to the tune of a few hundred bucks. Seems like it would solve this problem overnight and generate plenty of income off the people who refused to drive safely. Speed cameras too. Completely in favor of this shit.
viachicago

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:25 am

Eyeball Kid wrote:where it's the norm now that if a car is approaching a light that just turned yellow and they were still far enough away to slow down and stop, they will not do that. There's not even a detectable speeding up here; the car cruises through the red light as if it isn't there, all at the same speed they were driving before.

I started this thread because this is a fairly recent development. I also don't intend this to be another venue for venting about shitty drivers, but one in which I reflect why this only now does this seem to be happening regularly. I've lived here for 11 years. I think it's one of the end results of the gentrification that's been occurring over that stretch. There are probably studies linking gentrification with this sort of thing, right?

this has to be park and stockton

people on park will blow through the light a good 2 seconds after it’s red

also our neighborhood has 15mph zones near the bars and cars routinely do 30-40 through those areas and i yell at them everytime because it’s the only place people actually walk
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Denise » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:26 am

lol cool shit in Jacksonville
Denise

Postby Denise » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:27 am

It was a long time ago but when I spent a summer there with my girlfriend the cool shit to do was five points and it had like two bars one of which bands played at

Also there was a bath house on our street
Denise

Postby Kenny » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:28 am

There's a buy intersection near MY home too, you're no big shot
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:29 am

Denise wrote:It was a long time ago but when I spent a summer there with my girlfriend the cool shit to do was five points and it had like two bars one of which bands played at

Also there was a bath house on our street

i miss shitty 5pts
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:51 am

Yeah, it's Park and Stockton.

And something I didn't make clear in my original post but that wop alluded to, this isn't just the matter of a car tailing the car immediately in front of it, but a single, solitary car with no other cars coming from that direction running through the red light seconds after it changed. It happens all the time now!

As for shitty 5 Points, I was thinking about the other day when Kickbacks was like the only bar on King Street. It wasn't that long ago.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Shotfrog » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:55 am

Parkton?
Shotfrog

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:58 am

More like Deathton because someone's gonna die there eventually!
Eyeball Kid

Postby Kenny » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:07 am

Don't joke about the dead bro
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby neuartillery » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:00 am

emotional fascism wrote:i see this all over. also cars continuing to turn left against traffic after a light has turned red for like 5-10 seconds. it's insane behavior.

From my experience driving in Chicago, this is the only way to turn left against traffic there.
neuartillery

Postby neuartillery » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:02 am

I've brought this up in other threads, but it absolutely threw me when I first moved to Boston and people expect to be able to turn left against traffic at the start of the light cycle. Like, it's not a "Oh, that person might let me do it and I'll be appreciative" thing, it's a "I will absolutely lose my shit if I can't turn left at the start of this light cycle and will scream at someone who went straight to start." Eventually I got used to it and now I have to remind myself that this practice is not in place in Michigan.
neuartillery

Postby neuartillery » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:06 am

The OP reminded me of the intersection by my kids' old elementary school, which is a four-way stop a few blocks away from my old house. The number of people who blew through the stop signs was enormous, especially considering it was right by a fucking school, and I remember getting ready to cross the street while walking Barnaby when some pick-up truck blew threw. I put my arms up like "What the hell, man?" and he gave me the finger.

The worst instance was another time when I was getting ready to cross the street with Barnaby. One car had stopped for me and I was about to step out when a car sped up behind that car, did not slow down at all, swerved around the stopped car to turn left, and nearly hit me / Barnaby. I ran down the street yelling at them and memorized their plates, but they drove off and weren't a regular in the neighborhood.
neuartillery

Postby neuartillery » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:08 am

I miss my old neighborhood / town but I had accepted that it was only a matter of time before I got hit by a car. So far I haven't had the same concern in Ann Arbor.
neuartillery

Postby adamtrask » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:17 am

emotional fascism wrote:also cars continuing to turn left against traffic after a light has turned red for like 5-10 seconds. it's insane behavior.

This is just part of the driving ecosystem in Boston. There are way too many terribly timed lights without protected lefts, so this is the natural correction of the system, I think.
Stuntman wrote:The party's over and we're just the people who are too drunk to drive home and everyone is fighting over who gets to sleep on the couch.
adamtrask
funny boy #1

Postby BlackSugar » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:17 am

hmm why is this chart making me horny?
I come like a thousand doves
BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby separator » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:28 am

film that shit.
separator

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....